Home > Ask Our Experts > How do I change my Marital Status?

How do I change my Marital Status?

By: Chris Nickson - Updated: 18 Sep 2012 | comments*Discuss
How Do I Change My Marital Status?


I have recently divorced and want to keep my surname, but wish to change my marital status to Ms instead of Mrs. Do I need to go through a deed poll process for this?

(Ms Joanna Grice, 14 October 2008)


In this country you can actually change your surname, middle name or first name whenever you wish, to whatever you wish, just by doing it, as long as there’s no intent to defraud or deceive anyone. It’s actually as simple as that.

You might at times need evidence that you’ve changed your name, and changing it by deed poll can provide that written evidence.

There are actually agencies that can do this for you, taking care of all the details, and once you have your official name change deed poll document, you can then begin changing things like your driving licence, passport, bank account, credit cards – almost everything.

However, there are limits – you can’t go back and change the name on exam results or marriage and divorce certificates.

It is possible, but very complex, to avoid the entire deed poll procedure and have your birth certificate altered to your new name and reissued, but in all honesty, using a deed poll is much simpler.

If you had wanted to go back to your maiden name, that, too, would have been very simple. Your divorce decree would have been all the written proof you needed. It’s really not that complex at all.

People change names for all manner of different reasons. In the case of someone who’s divorced, it can be reclaiming her own identity. People could be trying to escape from bad family pasts and start over with a clean sheet. Although many think of people changing names for nefarious reasons, thousands do it every year with no bad intent at all.

All of this brings us to the Mrs. Or Ms. question. However, it’s not really a question at all. The term “Miss” has all but fallen by the wayside. It originally indicated a spinster or unmarried woman. These days “Ms.” covers that (it originated in America in the 1970s), but it also covers married women – to all intents and purposes it’s become a catch-all form of address for women, in asmuch as you can’t be wrong if you address a woman as Ms. What that means is you simply start using the term Ms. for yourself. That’s it. There’s no legal process involved. You’ll find that others will begin using it almost immediately.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Wlfred
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Hi, me and my ex bought a house together We put down the same amount of deposit but I have been making all the mortgage payments…
    16 January 2021
  • Tweety
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Hey me and a (guy)friend has a joint bond and living together became a nightmare as his not working anymore I'm 27 and his 57 he…
    28 December 2020
  • Kellyjayne
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Hello, My husband left me at the start of lockdown and we have an 8 month old son. He moved out of the home we both own soon…
    30 November 2020
  • Withheld
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Hi Me and my partner separated 18 years ago now and myself and my 2 kids lived in the house. We were never married but the house…
    19 November 2020
  • Ramos
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Me and wife separated, we do have house under our both name we have two children one 16 and one 13. They do live with her at the…
    29 October 2020
  • Michelle
    Re: Buy Out The Mortgage From Your Ex
    My husband and I are separating he wants to buy out my share of the house. He has sought financial advice and we are…
    27 October 2020
  • Ash
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    My ex partner had me arrested to get me out of our home and lied to police. Since I haven’t been back to the home however I have…
    21 October 2020
  • Harbo
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    My ex partner has been renting out our ex home together as we are both living with new partner's in different homes. I’m wanting…
    7 October 2020
  • Marlene
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Good evening. My fiance was married in community of property. The house is in joint names as per divorce settlement wife must…
    6 October 2020
  • T.i.oakley
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    I have a morgage half buy half rent my ex partner is on the papers but he has been left 12 years and dont know where he is I…
    6 October 2020