Home > Emotional Support > Family Mediation After Separation

Family Mediation After Separation

By: Lynne Conner - Updated: 4 Dec 2012 | comments*Discuss
Mediation Family Debt Asset Property

If you and your partner are separating but cannot agree on how to sort out your debts, assets, property or child custody you may want to explore family mediation. This is a tool which will help you to reach an amicable compromise without the challenges, expense and formality of going to court.

What is family mediation?

Family mediation aims to resolve problems and difficulties between family members by negotiating a compromise that suits everyone. In the case of a separation it can consider a whole host of practical problems and disputes which may arise including everything from who pays the mortgage to child custody rights. It does not aim to reunite separating partners and does not provide emotional support or counselling.

How does it work?

A trained mediator will work with you to ensure that both voices are heard. The mediator doesn’t take sides but is there to see that any decisions made are fair and agreed by both sides. The mediator will spend time with each party to hear their side of the story and will tease out all of the details of the situation. They will identify the key issues and also what each person wants to achieve.

The mediator will encourage both parties to get together to negotiate possible solutions. By and large they will let individuals speak for themselves and promote healthy discussions. The mediator will remain neutral at all times and will ensure that meetings are held in a safe, confidential and mutually respectful manner. They will help to diffuse tensions between each party and avoid unhelpful arguments or accusations. This is where a mediator can be especially helpful as they can keep discussions on track by staying objective and bringing people back to the facts.

In some cases the mediator may make practical suggestions as to how compromises could be made between each party.

Is it a legal process?

Mediators can advise on the law but are not usually qualified lawyers. They can give information but will direct you to a solicitor for definitive legal advice – if for example you decide that you would like to set up a deed of separation. Mediators often work closely with lawyers and may be able to recommend one if you do not have a solicitor already.

Mediation in itself is not legally binding. It is dispute resolution and depends on trust and goodwill between both parties for it to succeed. It is about the application of common sense and hopes to defuse tensions between a separating couple without recourse to the courts. In the end both parties have to agree to the outcome in order for the process to work. Mediation encourages both parties to take ownership of their decision. It is possible that you may want to take your agreement to court and get a legally enforceable court order or you may want to consider drawing up a formal deed of separation.

Can children be involved?

Some mediators are trained to involve children in the mediation process. This is especially appropriate when you are negotiating child support and child custody. It can be helpful for children to be allowed to express their wishes. A trained mediator can support them to be honest about their feelings and the custody outcome that they would prefer.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • RecentlySeparated
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Blue - Your Question:My son and girlfriend bought a house of which gifted them £6000 for the deposit. After 6 months she left,…
    19 September 2017
  • Blue
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    My son and girlfriend bought a house of which gifted them £6000 for the deposit. After 6 months she left, and has contributed…
    18 September 2017
  • RecentlySeparated
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    ki - Your Question:Recently split with partner of 10 years. We have 2 children (2 and 7) and a house we bought 2 and a half…
    18 September 2017
  • lucky
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    I bought a house with an ex 10 years ago, he left after 7 months and has paid nothing since, he also took out a joint loan of…
    29 August 2017
  • andre
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    my daughter left her boyfriend 7 years ago and their child lives with her. They had bought a house thanks to her deposit and now…
    27 August 2017
  • Witsend
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Hi Court hasn't been involved. My husband finally agreed to put house up for sale after several requests by me via solicitors…
    23 August 2017
  • RecentlySeparated
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Witsend - Your Question:Husband refused to move out of family home, so I felt forced to move and rent with our 3 children -…
    22 August 2017
  • BlackJack
    Re: How Financial Planning Can Help For the Future
    I'm really surprised how sites, including this, when describing situations -in articles, etc- almost always…
    21 August 2017
  • RecentlySeparated
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Matt - Your Question:Hi my wife walked out of our family home 5weejs ago leaving me and my 17 year old daughter. My daughter has…
    21 August 2017
  • Witsend
    Re: Selling the Jointly Owned Home
    Husband refused to move out of family home, so I felt forced to move and rent with our 3 children - relationship was toxic. It…
    19 August 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the RecentlySeparated website. Please read our Disclaimer.